Is this another missing accessory for the Superkalan? The Superkalan doesn’t come with a cover for the chimney extension. So, what to do? Improvise! For my chimney extension, a cap would have 2 important purposes:
- To protect the chimney and the chimney from the elements. Constant moisture comes with rust – eventually. The chimney filter and extension are prone to rust if exposed for too long in rainy weather.
- A wet cooking stove is VERY difficult to fire up. It will take some time for the wetness to disappear and the inside to become hot for cooking.
So, what to do? Well, the easiest solution is to put an open tin can over the chimney extension. But then the tin can would eventually rust out too, right? Well, a material that wouldn’t rust is plastic. So finding a suitable plastic container that can be cut will do the job. What I did was to use an empty container for rust treatment chemical.
Here’s what you do:
- Clean the container thoroughly with soap and water especially if it contained chemicals.
- With a ruler, measure 4 inches from each corner and mark with dots.
- With a straight edge or ruler, connect the dots at the corners. This will ensure a straight cutting line that’s 4 inches from the container’s bottom all around.
- With your trusty hacksaw, start sawing from one corner. Be sure the hacksaw blade follows the cutting line on all sides.
- When the cut is big enough, cut the rest of the line with a pair of heavy-duty scissors. If the plastic is too thick to cut even with the scissors, continue sawing with the hacksaw.
- Trim off the excess plastic with the scissors.
Here’s the cap in use. Remember to put the plastic cap ONLY after the chimney has sufficiently cooled down!