In a previous article, I talked about how the old screen filter was so difficult to clean especially when the soot buildup had started to harden and clog the screen holes. In the same article, I described how a better filter can be made with simple common materials using household tools.
The new spider filter however is not immuned against the problems of soot buildup. But this time, cleaning is so much more convenient. Why? Well, here’s how easy:
- Take out the dirty spider filter from the chimney extension.
- Rub the soot off the spine and the legs.
- Shake or jiggle the 2 pairs of legs.
- If rusting or corrosion has started to appear, use sandpapaer to clean the parts.
- Depending on how tight the legs are, coat the spine with grease to easily put back the 2 pairs of legs.